I’ve been looking for snakes (herping) for about eleven years in thailand. I’ve herped with a few hundred people. Sometimes I picked up tips from them, but I certainly don’t know it all at this point. If you have any tips to share in this article epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma – let me know in the comments and I’ll add them in an update. These tips are applicable to all of southeast asia, but then maybe not so generalizable to other areas of epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma the world because the snakes are different from place to epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma place. That said, you might find some gems here even if you’re looking for rattlesnakes in texas.
Besides having two eyes in your head, having a great headlamp is the most important tool you epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma can have for herping for snakes. I went with cheap lights with high lumens for a epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma couple of years, and was happy enough in my ignorance. Then I herped with david frohlich. He had a headlamp that lit up the entire forest. I saw a massive difference between that sort of light, and mine with a tight beam, and quickly went to work testing a bunch of flashlights epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma and headlamps. I now have a few favorites. They’re expensive, but there’s nothing I’ve found with the same quality of light or durability.
Maybe not either. If you don’t have experience handling venomous snakes – please don’t touch any snake you are not very familiar with. By familiar with, I mean you know what the snake is capable of. That’s even a stretch… I don’t know what king cobras are capable of. I haven’t seen it all. I got surprised a couple years back by a king epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma cobra hiding behind a log, and then launching itself up at the cage door. It nearly owned the guy I was with.
Petzl nao 2 – 575 lumens. It has a flood and a tighter beam I hesitate epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma to call a spotlight – it’s more a condensed floodlight. It’s quite nice. Price is around $150. Petzl just released their successor to this light – and call it the petzl nao plus. I think it’s 750 max lumens. Battery life at maximum power – around same. All of these are excellent headlamps which will give you epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma years of use if you don’t abuse them too bad.
If I wanted to find a couple snakes in an epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma hour, I’d go to any hill that borders a road, and I’d scan the trees from 1 meter to 3 meters epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma high for sleeping tree snakes – whip snakes. Oriental whip snakes, malayan whip snakes, bronzeback snakes, golden tree snakes and others in the genus. These snakes are really common in most places in thailand.
You’ll see their venter (belly) reflecting light from underneath, or you can notice their different color against the green epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma leaves they sometimes lay right on top of to sleep. Once you find one sleeping, start looking at that same elevation off the ground for epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma the rest of them, they’re probably at a similar height. I’ve also noticed that larger – full-grown adult oriental whip snakes tend to sleep around the epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma 2-3 meters and higher range. The smaller snakes are from 1-2 meters high off the ground typically. What weather conditions are favorable for snake herping?
There are likely other variables which can add to what epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma I have above, but I don’t regularly monitor anything else. Probably a falling barometer means you’ll find less snakes. If there is a full-moon, you may find some snakes, and not others. I haven’t logged enough of my finds (only 100 or so) to the degree needed to figure out which snakes are epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma found more often during certain moon phases.
Herpers across the globe flip over junk of all sorts epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma and find snakes. I never do. No wait, I’ve found a gliding gecko, an E. Enhydris, and a brahminy blind snake. I’ve spoken with many people who’ve herped other areas of thailand and southeast asia – and the reports are the same. Few snakes found this way. Still, being from western pennsylvania, where we could turn up animals all the time like epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma this – I can’t pass up a nice sheet of roofing or cardboard. Scorpions are typically under junk we flip here. How to herp for snakes?
Some people prefer looking on the ground. Some like looking up in the trees. Some like flipping stuff and raking leaves. Some like road-cruising. I like all of these, but it really depends primarily on what I’m looking for. I usually have an idea which snakes I’m focusing on for the night, so I can limit where I’m looking. It’s really tiresome to look everywhere – all habitat for snakes. Better to focus on 1-2 areas because you’ll last longer. Tips for looking for snakes in trees
Snakes in the middle of the street, on a path, or sidewalk, are easy to see. Sometimes looking for snakes on the ground is easier than epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma looking in the trees. When there is wide-open ground, I look there primarily. When there is grass or other vegetation that would make epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma spotting snakes difficult, I’ll tend to focus on the trees for sleeping or epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma moving snakes (coming down the tree trunks). Malayan pit viper – toxic landmine – waiting for rodents or frogs. Tips for looking for snakes while road-cruising
Probably the easiest way to herp ever, is road-cruising. I like to do it from my motorbike. I’m faster off the bike and faster to get where epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma I see a snake than in a car or other epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma vehicle. I also can hear dogs coming or other cars – I’m just more aware while road-cruising on the scooter than in a vehicle. I can sometimes block the snake from getting off the epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma road if I pull in front of it too – with a car, the snake could go up into the engine and you’ll lose it. Tips for finding snakes in specific genera
• night – mangrove cat snakes (B. Dendrophila) come down to the ground around water and look for epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma frogs where I herp. It’s a freshwater stream. They are also found in trees above saltwater, brackish water during the days and come down at night epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma to find prey. Dog-toothed cat snakes (B. Cynodon) can be found coming down palm trees, and crossing ground in dry areas or areas with water. I have also found this species crossing roads in hard epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma rain at night. I’ve found them late at night – around midnight, most often.
• night – I have found about half a dozen kings during daytime, and another half a dozen at night. I’ve seen a couple snakes that I was 90% sure were kings, but the visibility wasn’t good enough to call it. Hard to say, but then the keeled rat snake ( ptyas carinatus), the only other big black snake it might’ve been, is not known to be active at night at that epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma hour (around midnight in one instance). Finding king cobras is hit or miss. You can’t really target them, except by just covering huge distances on the trails in epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma the hills during the days.
• day – malayan pit vipers are in the leaves sleeping – sometimes on top, or under the leaves. They probably also sleep between rocks and in holes. I found one sleeping on my concrete porch, in the wide open one afternoon around 2 pm. No leaves on the porch – just one big pit viper outside the car door of epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma my little daughter. She’d have stepped on it or in front of it epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma if I didn’t notice.
• day – I see them ( radiated rat snake, red-tailed racer, indo-chinese rat snake) most often crossing roads – especially coming from water run-off areas of dirt – near palm plantations, and out of high grass. I’ve seen them chase lizards out of the high grass epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma and onto the street a couple times. Ptyas carinatus I find on dirt trails in disturbed primary epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma forest from 60 meters ASL to 300 meters ASL.
• day – whip snakes will typically be on a tree at around epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma 2 meters high – open to the air. Meaning, a wide open space in front of the tree. They are targeting birds or lizards. I’ve also seen whip snakes on nature trails in the epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma heat of the morning or early afternoon – just frozen there, waiting for me to step over them. I’ve found bronzebacks in trees in the same sort of epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma position, and also on top of walls yards, and on thick branches close to the ground.
This is an easy one. I catch far more snakes from may through november most epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma years. I say most years because the weather varies wildly here epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma in krabi some years. This year, a week ago, we had serious flooding all over southern thailand. We never have heavy rain this late. So, snake season fluctuates a bit too. We’ll see how the next 4 months go and that epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma may dictate the season a bit.
We finally ended our month-long stay in new mexico when faced with the prospect epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma of multiple days of rain. Trouble was,…
Curcumin’s benefits are so diverse that they affect virtually every epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma organ system in the body. It’s no accident that the…
Recent large-scale high-profile data breaches have increased consumer awareness of both the epithelioid fibrous histiocytoma amount of personal data…